Upper Elk Valley - Algae To Blame For Canine Deaths

This story was on The Drive FM Radio station August 27, 2008

Algae To Blame For Canine Deaths

A pair of dogs that died after drinking water from the Thompson Creek settling pond, in the Elk Valley, were killed by toxins from blue green algae.

The pond, located near the Greenhills mining operation, was investigated by Elk Valley Coal Corporation for signs of mineral, heavy metal, or other mining related contamination.

Those tests came back negative but further tests revealed the presence of the blue-green algae, a type of toxin releasing cyanobacteria found in water sources with decaying organic material.

Elk Valley Coal warns people to be cautious about letting pets drink from standing water sources.